Donate Your Car

Help support the programs of Catholic Relief Services by donating your used car, truck, boat or motorcycle. The vehicle can be running or not! It's easy to do: Just fill out the form below and a representative will contact you to schedule a pickup. Or call 855-990-4483 toll-free. You will receive a tax benefit from the total sale and CRS will receive 80% of the sale price. Thank you for supporting Catholic Relief Services!

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What are the benefits of making a car donation to support Catholic Relief Services?
Catholic Relief Services benefits by receiving cash donations to fund new and existing programs.

You benefit by being able to reduce your taxable income when taxes are itemized. Plus, you avoid the costs associated with selling your car. No need to pay for advertising, no loss of privacy and possible security risk, and no need to pay for vehicle registration, insurance and repairs to keep your car in running condition while you wait for a buyer.

Does my car have to be running to donate it?
No. In some cases we can take your car, running or not. However, it must have an engine and be towable. Contact a representative at 855-990-4483 to find out if your vehicle qualifies for pickup.

Do you only accept cars for donation?
Many types of motor vehicles are accepted including boats, motorcycles, trucks, cars, motor homes and airplanes. If you are uncertain whether your vehicle is eligible, please contact the vehicle donation program at 855-990-4483.

How long will it take to donate a vehicle? 
In some cases, if we receive your call early in the day, we can schedule a same-day pickup. A tow company will contact you within 2 to 3 business days. Call our representatives at 855-990-4483.

Do I have to be with the vehicle at the time of pickup?
No. Special arrangements can be made by calling our representatives.

What paperwork do I need to make a car donation?
The only paperwork needed is a signed, clear title. Have your title with you when you call in your donation. Please note: A clear title indicates the title is in the name of the donor without a lien.

Do I need a smog certificate in order to donate my car?
For states that require smog certificates or safety inspections, you may donate your vehicle without these documents.

What if l receive legal notices?
In the rare event that you receive any notification of a lien sale, DMV action or other activity related to your donated vehicle, please contact us immediately at 855-990-4483 for assistance.

Tax Questions

How does the tax law that went into effect in 2005 affect my tax deduction?
If the proceeds from the sale exceed $500, you will receive IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes, stating the amount of the gross proceeds from the sale of the donated vehicle.

Will I get a tax receipt for my donation? 
Yes, you will receive IRS Form 1098-C in the event that the sale of the vehicle exceeds $500. If the vehicle does not exceed $500, the thank you letter that you receive can be used as a tax receipt.

What can I claim as a deduction? 
According to the tax law effective January 1, 2005, if the claimed value of the donated vehicle exceeds $500, the taxpayer is limited to the gross proceeds from the sale. IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes, will be mailed to you within 30 days of the sale stating the amount of gross proceeds received from your car, provided your vehicle sold for more than $500 and you have submitted your Social Security number. This will be your tax receipt for your charitable contribution.

How is the value determined on the vehicle donated? 
The value is determined by the gross proceeds raised from the sale of the donated vehicle.

What if my car is valued at more than $5,000? 
Effective January 1, 2005, you are no longer required to have vehicles appraised. The value you may claim will be the amount of gross proceeds received from your vehicle.