Ukraine Emergency Response in Moldova
More than 3 million people have fled from Ukraine to neighboring countrfies including Poland, Moldova, Romania, Hungary and Slovakia.
CRS is supporting our Caritas partners in Ukraine with a range of support, including:
- Field kitchens that provide hot meals.
- Reception services at Caritas offices, train stations and other locations, providing displaced people with clothing, information, referrals, food, water, hygiene items and counseling support.
- Transportation of displaced families to friends, families and local social services.
- Evacuation centers providing shelter, food, emotional care, case management and child‑friendly spaces.
- Recruitment and training of volunteers to pack kits and assist at Caritas centers.
With CRS support, Caritas Moldova has been providing food and relief items to refugees at government‑run reception centers and has established three accommodation centers in the capital. Caritas plans to establish a further five centers, and priorities include:
- Mobilizing transportation of refugees from the border, and providing them with information.
- Providing accommodation, food and counseling support.
- Activating host community support to provide vacant properties for refugee families, and to bring such properties up to minimum standards of accommodation. With the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees and the government of Moldova, CRS will also support cash assistance to provide critical support for all refugees in the country.
With CRS financial support, Caritas dioceses have mobilized volunteers, equipped facilities, and are operating reception and accommodation centers at three border crossings in the north of the country. All centers are at capacity, serving hundreds of refugee families crossing the border. Caritas diocesan offices near the border have also organized day centers for hundreds of refugee children. All ongoing activities in Moldova and Romania are funded by CRS and local contributions
Caritas Poland is providing assistance to arriving Ukrainians at border crossing points. CRS is helping them to prepare a cash assistance program with the UNHCR to be scaled up to reach an estimated 300,000 families. In coordination with the Polish government, Caritas is providing shelter to refugee orphans in existing care homes.
Caritas Poland and Caritas Moldova are also organizing cross-border shipments of humanitarian supplies into Ukraine.
Download & Print Global Emergency Update English Global Emergency Update