Case Studies | September 6, 2017
Approaches of the Expanded Impact Program in Zimbabwe
Between April and September 2016, 4Children documented work in OVC programs in three countries; these included Pact’s Yekokeb Berhan program in Ethiopia, the World Education Inc./Bantwana Expanded IMPACT Program in Zimbabwe, and COGRI’s Lea Toto program and FHI360 led APHIAplus program in Kenya. For each program, the documentation included a comprehensive desk review (project, country-specific and global reference documents), meetings with the USAID OVC technical officer, site visits and key informant interviews or focus group discussions with program staff, various community workers, health sector staff, caregivers and children. Program staff reviewed the draft case studies and provided further input and clarifications.
- The Setting
- Country background
- Health and social welfare services context
- Zimbabwe’s HIV epidemic and response
- Barriers to HIV testing for children
- Case Study
- Program introduction
- Program results
- Bringing children to HIV services
- Removing demand-side barriers
- Strengthening supply-side capability
- Promising practices
- Challenges and gaps identified.
- Annex: Resources to enhance capacity for HTS for children.