Proclaim the Dignity of Life, Celebrate the Witness of Love
- Evangelization means to proclaim the Gospel in words and in deeds. Every aspect of the Catholic Church's activity is evangelization.
- Above all, the Church evangelizes through witness, by living and acting in solidarity with the poor and vulnerable, by expressing views that link faith to issues in the public sphere and through works of charity and justice.
- A New Evangelization means a renewal of faith in the God of love, and this renewal in turn leads to charity, witnessing Gospel values, proclamation, celebration, listening and sharing ("Instrumentum Laboris" ["Working Paper"; The New Evangelization for the Transmission of the Christian Faith], 2012, Vatican City). In the words of Cardinal-designate Timothy M. Dolan: "The New Evangelization invites people not to doctrine, but to know, love and serve [Jesus]…. This evangelization is also about love incarnated in care for children, the sick, the elderly, the orphaned and the hungry."
- Within the larger framework of the New Evangelization, Pope Benedict XVI has called for a Year of Faith, beginning on October 11, 2012, and ending on November 24, 2013.
- Works of charity and social justice are essential ways that Christians express their faith and will be central to animating the Year of Faith in our institutions and our lives as believers. "Faith without charity bears no fruit," Pope Benedict XVI reminds us in "Porta Fidei," the Apostolic Letter "Motu Proprio Data" (2011).
CRS and the New Evangelization
- In the New Evangelization, Catholics are called to renew our faith and to express it, not in a different way, but with renewed energy. One way the Catholic community in the United States does this is by joining together through Catholic Relief Services to help our brothers and sisters in greatest need around the world.
- Catholic Relief Services is one of the ways the Catholic community in the United States witnesses to our faith around the world. During this Year of Faith, we can work together through Catholic Relief Services to bring to life the Gospel's call to love our neighbors, celebrating the power of the faith we share as one human family in Christ.