Donor Advised Funds
A donor advised fund is a charitable giving program managed by a nonprofit institution—known as a sponsoring organization—and created for the purpose of managing charitable gifts on behalf of donors.
What Are the Advantages of a Donor Advised Fund?
- Your gifts to your donor advised fund entitle you to an immediate income tax deduction at the time of contribution.
- You avoid capital gains tax on appreciated assets you place in your donor advised fund.
- Your fund's investment gains accumulate tax free.
- Funds are distributed to CRS in your name and immediately put toward easing the suffering of some of the world's poorest people.
How Does It Work?
- You contribute assets such as cash, stocks or bonds to a donor advised fund established in your name and managed by a sponsoring organization.
- The sponsoring organization reinvests your gift as you direct.
- The sponsoring organization makes distributions from your fund to charities you recommend, such as Catholic Relief Services.
If you have a donor advised fund and your sponsoring organization participates in DAF Direct,℠ you can recommend a distribution to CRS through the DAF Direct program by doing the following:
- Select your sponsoring organization from the drop-down menu.
- Enter the amount of your donation to CRS.
- Click on the NEXT button, which will connect you to your sponsoring organization's website to confirm your recommendation.
What If My Sponsoring Organization Is Not Part of DAF Direct?
Simply contact your sponsoring organization directly and recommend a donation in support of the lifesaving work of CRS.
Provide your sponsoring organization with the following information:
Catholic Relief Services-USCCB
228 West Lexington Street
Baltimore, MD 21201-3443
- Federal Taxpayer Identification Number: 13-5563422
- Gift amount
- CRS contact information:
Richard Balmadier, Director of Planned Giving
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 800-235-2772, ext. 7251
To Learn More:
We'd be glad to provide you with more information about donor advised funds or answer your questions. Please contact:Richard Balmadier, Director of Planned Giving
[email protected] 800-235-2772, ext. 7251