Charitable Gift Annuities
CRS Charitable Gift Annuities are now available in California!
Annuity Forms and Agreements
Gift Annuity Application: Complete this form to apply to make a gift annuity to CRS.
Additional Gift Annuity Form: Complete this form to establish an additional gift annuity.
What Is a CRS Charitable Gift Annuity?
A Catholic Relief Services Charitable Gift Annuity is a way for you to make a gift that helps CRS serve poor and vulnerable people overseas and guarantees lifetime income for you and/or someone you designate.
Gift Annuity Calculator: Use our online calculator to estimate the benefits you can enjoy with a CRS Charitable Gift Annuity plan.
How Do They Work?
- You donate cash, stocks, bonds or mutual funds to CRS and ask us to establish a gift annuity.
- Once we finalize the gift annuity agreement, CRS will begin paying a fixed, guaranteed amount of lifetime income to you and/or anyone you name.
- After your lifetime or that of your selected beneficiary, CRS will use the remaining principal from your gift to continue our lifesaving and life-giving work overseas.
A minimum donation of $5,000 is requested to establish a CRS Charitable Gift Annuity.
CRS Charitable Gift Annuities are currently unavailable to residents of Hawaii.
Patricia Hoffman's Story
"I feel that CRS serves a lot of people who can't help themselves... I seem to have a personal need to be a part of something worthwhile and important."
What Are the Benefits?
- A charitable gift annuity immediately provides you with a fixed income, part of which is tax free.
- Annuity payments are guaranteed by CRS for life.
- You are entitled to a charitable tax deduction when you itemize your federal income taxes.
- Your gift will help you now—and make a difference in the lives of poor and vulnerable people for generations to come.
What Are the Variables?
- A CRS Charitable Gift Annuity can be paid to one or two people age 60 and older. CRS offers a Deferred Gift Annuity plan for those age 50 and above.
- Annuity payments can begin immediately or can be deferred to begin at a later date.
- Rate of income is based on the age of the person or people receiving the annuity income when the payments begin.
Basic Gift Illustration
Summary of Benefits
5.1% of Charitable Gift Annuity
After 15.9 years the entire annuity becomes ordinary income.
IRS Discount Rate 1.4%
These calculations are for illustration purposes only and should not be considered legal, accounting or other professional advice. Your actual benefits may vary depending on several factors, including the timing of your gift.
Your donation to establish a CRS Charitable Gift Annuity can be any combination of cash, stocks, bonds and mutual funds. When you donate long-term appreciated assets, only a portion of the capital gain will be recognized, and the capital gains tax on that portion will be spread across the income payments. You will avoid any capital gains taxes on the remaining portion.
|Age||Rate (%)||Annuity ($)|
|Age||Rate (%)||Annuity ($)|
Use our Gift Annuity Calculator to estimate the benefits you can enjoy with a CRS Charitable Gift Annuity plan.
Do Charitable Gift Annuities Have a Place in Retirement Planning?
Absolutely! A gift annuity can add income, diversification and reliability to a retirement plan.
- Guaranteed lifetime income reduces risk.
- The combination of high-yield, tax-free income, a charitable income tax deduction and, in some cases, a reduction in capital gains taxes can markedly improve the performance of a retirement plan.
Remember, a gift annuity is not a traditional investment instrument. A distinct difference is the irrevocable nature of a gift annuity. Once established, you cannot change or reinvest a charitable gift annuity in another way.
Only charitable organizations such as CRS provide charitable gift annuities. Gift annuities are not available at banks, trust companies, brokerage firms, investment companies or other types of financial enterprises.
I'd Like to Learn More
We're here to help:
Tiffany Jackson, Planned Giving Associate
Phone: 1-800-235-2772; at the prompt, dial extension 7324
Richard Balmadier, Director, Planned Giving
Phone: 1-800-235-2772; at the prompt, dial extension 7251