One Human Family, Food for All
On December 10, 2013, Caritas Internationalis, the international umbrella organization for Catholic Charities organizations, initiated Food for All, a world-wide campaign to combat hunger. Pope Francis launched the campaign with a video calling on all Catholics to intensify efforts to end hunger around the world. Listen to his brief message and visit food.caritas.org to learn more about what you can do.
The allegory of the long spoons illustrates a simple but profound point about chronic hunger.
Facts About Hunger
- Nearly 842 million people are suffering from hunger.
- 98 percent of people suffering from hunger live in developing countries.
- Hunger kills more people every year than AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis combined.
- Hunger causes the deaths of about 5 million children each year.
- About 17 million children are born underweight annually, the result of inadequate nutrition before and during pregnancy.
Resources About Hunger
- Resources for Liturgy
- Ten Commandments for a Future without Hunger
- Caritas Hunger Campaign Prayer
- Quotes from Catholic Social Teaching on Hunger and Poverty
- Eating Is a Moral Act - Food Fast
- A Prayer for the Hungry
- Eucharistic Adoration - Food for All
Use these expert resources to learn more about how other organizations combating hunger around the world.