Laudato Si' - Our Common Home and Climate Change
Why This Matters
Catholic Relief Services is witnessing first-hand the effects of environmental degradation and climate change on poor and vulnerable people around the world. Today, developing nations are prone to major devastation as a result of climate-related disasters. Homes, livelihoods, crops, livestock and human lives are being destroyed in the wake of storms and floods. Severe hunger and disease often follow these disasters at a slower but just as deadly pace. CRS works to help the poor become more resilient to natural disasters and the effects of climate change.
Pray | Learn | Act | Give | Technical Resources
- God of All Creation prayer
- Laudato Si' preaching resources for clergy
- May It Please You prayer
- Caring for God's Creation: Resources for Liturgy, Preaching, and Taking Action – Resources from the USCCB for preaching and teaching about care for God’s creation.
Elementary School Resources K-8
- Care for God's Creation Climate Change Lesson Plans: Nicaragua
- Care for God's Creation Climate Change Lesson Plans: Madagascar
- Care for God's Creation Quiz
- Drop by Drop children’s book from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and Loyola Press featuring an engaging story about a CRS water project in Burkina Faso.
High School Resources
- CRS Education Care for Creation Resources
- Caring for Creation, Caring for the Poor: A resource the from National Federation for Catholic Youth Ministry providing tools for teaching that care for creation is also care for the poor and featuring a number of case studies from CRS
- Friending Planet Earth: A six-session resource from the Catholic Climate Covenant to help youth understand what solidarity & sustainability look like in the face of climate change
- Faculty Learning Commons Session 1: The Road to Paris and Beyond - A Primer on Climate Change Policy, Action, and Ethics
- Faculty Learning Commons Session 2: Climate Change in the World’s Most Vulnerable Places - Innovations in Adaptation
Adult Education Resources
- Watch Ethiopia Improving the Land to End Hunger
- Read Global Climate Change A Plea for Dialogue Prudence and the Common Good
A statement of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Read Climate Change and the Common Good
A joint declaration by the Pontifical Academies of Sciences and of the Social Sciences
- Read Global Climate Change and Biodiversity a publication of The Pontifical Academy of Sciences
- Discussion Guide on Laudato Si' – for use in a small group setting, delves more deeply into main themes of Laudato Si'.
CRS Climate Change Policy Briefs
- Follow Pope Francis’ call to take action on climate change!
- Join the I am Climate Change Campaign
- Visit The Catholic Climate Covenant for resources, stories, and opportunities for action in the US
- Purchase beautiful eco-friendly fair trade gifts from CRS partner SERRV
- Support farmers! Host an organic and fair trade fundraiser with CRS partner Equal Exchange
Support a CRS sustainable agriculture project through faithACTS.
Our relationship with the environment can never be isolated from our relationship with others and with God
-Pope Francis Laudato Si, 119